- 21.7 percent of Manistee County residents identified as obese
- 49.8 percent identified as overweight
- 80.4 percent reported inadequate consumption of fruits and vegetables
- 32.9 percent reported no leisure time physical activity
- 32.7 percent currently smoke
All this in a community with some of the most diverse crop production and scenic outdoor environments of anywhere in the nation.
Because hunger and obesity are closely tied to socio-economic status, the Kitchen seeks a sustainable solution that will provide both food and employment opportunities for out of work families. As unemployment remains high in our small community, it comes as no surprise that the number of residents having significant weight problems is also high.